Embracing Racial Equity: 7 Steps to Advance and Embed Race Equity and Inclusion Within Your Organization
Source: The Annie E. Casey Foundation
Resource Type: Documents and Publications
Focus Population: Behavioral Health Leaders
Topics: Behavioral Health Organizational Guidance Docs, Culturally Specific Strengths and Resilience, Experience of Racism, Discrimination, and Oppression
Advancing racial equity and inclusion can sometimes seem daunting and often leaves many wondering how and where to start. One way to achieve social change in an organization is to incorporate race equity and inclusion at every stage of work. The seven steps in this action plan provide a clear framework for undertaking this important work. This tool adds to the resources already created by partners who have been working in the field. It works by demonstrating how a race equity lens can be adopted by foundations or other organizations that work directly with systems, technical assistance providers and communities.
In this racial equity and inclusion framework, you’ll learn:
- How to use an equity and inclusion framework for understanding different dimensions of racism.
- How to identify and analyze the root causes of racial inequities.
- Key terms, concepts and definitions relevant to race equity.
- How to talk about race by establishing shared values and a common understanding.
- How to advance racial equity and inclusion and embed it in your organization.
- Questions that bring together stakeholders to achieve social change.
- How to set goals for racial equity and track and measure progress.
- How to assess the impact of policies and other actions on racial and ethnic groups.